Monday, August 3, 2009

So I haven't done this for a while, my blog became redundant after we moved ten minutes up the road to a bushier, friendlier sort of lifestyle. The summer came and went and with it disastrous bush fires causing much grief to the community and alongside the grief great community spirit was born from the ashes and so it was we were welcomed into the neighbourhood.








We chose to move to this, slightly in disrepair, mudbrick house with it's flat lined roof and monstrous wooden beams to give our children a certain sort of upbringing. So far I have enjoyed the six months we have lived in our house amongst the gums, magpies warbling down upon us, while kookaburra's echo their call from an opposite tree.





Yes, it is safe to say we are settling in well. It is a place I can feel myself growing as a writer, a mother and a human being (sometimes us mum's need to distinguish that we are human, after yelling in a fit of rage as your child knocks down every last apple off the grocery stand.) I have given myself time to take a breath and exhale it slowly after quiting my job at the bookstore; too demanding with all the shuttling kids to one end of town and then me shuttling off to the other end. On saying this I know it will be harder financially, but it will be my last year at home with Jax before he goes off to school and becomes a big boy...wheep, wheep.






So things i am enjoying more are- sewing, sitting reading and writing amongst a mudbrick cocoon, spending time with the kidlets, having energy to spend time with Jay after kiddies go to bed and yes, spending time cooking wintry delights!

So wintry delight 1 is a lovely Choc-orange cake care of Margaret Fulton, inspired by lots of oranges from my sisters orange tree.



Ingredients
125g butter, rind and juice of one good sized orange, 3/4 cup of caster sugar, 2 eggs (separated), 2 cups of SR flour, pinch salt and 3 tbs of milk.

On to the business of making

Cream butter and sugar, mix in orange rind. Beat in egg yolks well. Sift flour and salt into butter mix and fold in. Slowly add orange juice and then milk. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in gently. Spoon the whole lot into a 20 by 20cm round tin that has been greased and the bottom lined. Cook in pre-heated 180 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.


To ice you can use any choc icing mix. I just used a basic icing sugar and added melted butter to mix and then poured over the cake. If chocolate is too decadent (As if...) then you can dust with icing sugar. Ta Da. Enjoy!


















No comments:

Post a Comment